|The Film||Director||Credits||Cast||Press Quotes||Images|
CLASSIC BERGMANIngmar Bergman (1918-2007) is considered one of the most accomplished and influential European arthouse film directors of all times, who left behind an incredibly rich body of work in the history of modern cinema.
His films marked the beginning and end of an era, since he was capable of explicitly taking on fundamental questions in a way that cinema didn't achieve before him and has hardly done since.
This five-disc set contains a selection of films which cover two decades of the director's work; from his first period - a reflection of his concerns and life experiences - to his thriving époque – a mature work for which he attracted wide international attention.
IT RAINS ON OUR LOVE (1946)
- Maggi and David decide to start a new life together, leaving a troubled past behind them. However, will their love be strong enough to overcome circumstance and human intervention?
A SHIP BOUND FOR INDIA (1947)
- Sailor Johannes falls in love with his father’s mistress, Sally, heading to a fight between father and son that will bring the family to a tragic end.
SAWDUST AND TINSEL (1953)
- In a small, run down circus company, a wide variety of human feelings are exhibited day by its participants. The result is a performance, never to be forgotten.
- Suzanne, a fashion director, and Doris, her muse, go to Gothenburg for a photo shot. There, each meets up with her men and each is interrupted by another woman.
SO CLOSE TO LIFE (1958)
- Three women meet at a maternity ward. Soon they find themselves united by tragic experiences, and a strange bond grows between them.
(The Classic Bergman Collection is also available on DVD)