|The Film||Director||Credits||Cast||Press Quotes||Images|
THEO ANGELOPOULOS COLLECTION VOL.2Distinctive, beautiful and poetic, the films of Theo Angelopoulos examine the history of modern Greece from a social and political perspective. Fluidly interweaving the past and present, they explore the stories of characters whose lives are shaped by the forces of history.
This second DVD volume spans more than a decade of filmmaking and includes the films Angelopoulos refers to as his ‘Trilogy of Silence’ (Voyage to Cythera, The Beekeeper and Landscape in the Mist).
ALEXANDER THE GREAT (1980)
- The controversial story of a Greek bandit who takes hostage a group of English tourists at the turn of
the twentieth century is a visually stunning and complex portrait of a revolutionary leader.
VOYAGE TO CYTHERA (1984)
- This poetic and moving film tells the intimate personal story of a Civil War fighter who returns to his homeland after many years of exile in Russia. But he discovers a country he barely recognises in this melancholy meditation on the sad legacy of Greek history.
THE BEEKEEPER (1986)
- The great Marcello Mastroiani plays a schoolmaster who, disillusioned with life, embarks on a solitary
journey of self-discovery with his cherished beehives. When he encounters a young hitchhiker, feelings
are awakened within him that become an obsession.
LANDSCAPE IN THE MIST (1988)
- Two Greek children embark upon a journey to find their father in Germany in this extraordinary coming-of-age tale. Beautifully photographed, the unforgiving world they discover is contrasted with the children’s hope and optimism.
THE SUSPENDED STEP OF THE STORK (1991)
- Marcello Mastroianni and Jeanne Moreau star in this poetic exploration of the issues of borders and refugees, which tells the story of a reporter's investigation into the disappearance of a former politician.